Why is my cat making a wheezing noise/difficulty breathing?

For the last week my cat has been making a "wheezing noise", but not all the time. At first I thought he was sneezing but when I looked at him yesterday his tongue was sticking out slightly. He's an indoor/outdoor cat and it usually happens after he comes in for the night and he's resting.

Asked by Member 793875 on Jan 18th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

You should take him to the vet to get checked out and take a video of him wheezing if he doesn't do it all the time. It could be some kind of upper respiratory infection (URI), allergies, ashtma or even heart/lung worm. If he's sticking his tongue out that shows he's having difficulty breathing so you should take him to a vet so theycan figure out what it is and get him treatment if he needs it.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on Jan 18th.

Answers

I agree with Freckles. If you live in an area where it gets cold, he could very well have picked up a URI. I'd be concerned that if he comes in contact with other cats, it could be more serious, even to the point of having been in a fight. Animals always 'go for the throat'. In any case, this is something you need to discuss with his vet. If it is a upper respiratory infection, he will need antibiotics. There are no "home remedies" for this and he needs the attentions of a professional.

Definitely take him in for a check up. It could be a lot of things and all of them need treatment from a vet.

I hope he's feeling better very soon.