Why is my cat loosing hair

My cat is 3 yrs old and has no hair left on back legs and on the sides of his belly. The skin is not flaky or red. The rest of his hair is thinning also. We have had him to the vet and has been put on prednisone but that has not helped. I don't see him grooming to excess but I know they say they could be and you don't notice it but the vet says he doesn't think so as the hair just pulls out easily. Also he seems to be happy and playful not acting like he is sick but I will add that he does seem to be getting thinner even though he is eating well. Any ideas

dee

Asked by Member 533760 on Nov 21st 2007 Tagged hairloss, thinninghair in Shedding

Best Answer

Mr. Linus is right--skin conditions can be very hard to diagnose. Your vet will probably start by putting him on a special diet. My daughter feeds her cat who loses fur Science Diet for sensitive skin. She says she thinks Jojo loses fur because she's stressed by her other four cats. My son's cat, Cole, loses fur in the winter. He is an inside/outside cat and in the winter does not like to go out in the cold (spoiled kitty!) This is such a lifestyle change for him that the stress causes him to lose his fur on his back legs. In any case, your vet is qualified to rule out things like ringworm, mites, mange, things he/she went to vet school to learn how to spot. He can also weigh your baby to see if he is indeed losing weight. Good luck!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Nov 22nd.

Answers

You may want to get a second opinion, or a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. Skin issues can be hard to diagnose. Purrs!

Beau Beau!

Hi there
my old kitty Beau used to lose his fur or overpreen it out in clumps
he sometimes would get easily stressed(mom did and he reflected it)
when I changed him to Iams hairball formula it stopped!
his fur came back gloriously!
but I DO have to agree with Mr Linus, go to the vet and make sure its not allergies or skin problems
do take care

Beau Beau! answered on 11/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer