Why is my cat hissing and biting me and not wanting to be near me now that we live with my boyfriend, but is into him?

I've had my cat Nikki for 3 years. She was about 3 when I got her from friends. It has been just us until we moved in with my boyfriend and his 2 cats in October. Nikki was very sweet with me and had only hissed a couple of times and had never tried to bite me. She used to always come to me when I called her and enjoyed cuddling with me. When we first moved in with my boyfriend, we kept her in a closed room for 2 weeks and have kept her separate from the other cats with a gate. Recently we have tried to bring the 16 year old and Nikki together more, but that is met with hissing primarily from Nikki. I understand that the cats are going to take time to get to know each other, but now Nikki is not her usual sweet self with me, but has taken to my boyfriend. She'll come and cuddle with me when he isn't around, but is all about him when he is. She'll come to him when called, cuddle with him, and move away from us when he goes away. We both feed and change litter equally. What is going on?

Asked by Member 1038651 on Dec 2nd 2012 Tagged behaviorchange, hissing, biting, move, morecats in Aggression

Answers

I wouldn't take it personally, although I know that's easy for me to say. Consider that Nikki has been through what to her is a very upsetting experience. She's gone from being the Queen Bee to being "just" part of a group. She has to prove herself with the other cats and establish HER territory in the new house. About the only thing you can do is continue to supervise the interactions between the 3 cats and don't let them "pick on" Nikki. Let her decide for herself when she's done being honked off at you. Continue to cuddle her when she wants it, but if you see signs of an impending "attack" on you, leave her alone even if you have to get up and leave the room temporarily. If the anti-social behavior continues into the Holidays, you may want to check with her vet