Ping

Why is my cat gagging/coughing?

He has been making the "hairball" noise for the past 2-3 days but is not producing any hairballs. He is still eating, and as far as I know still using the litterbox. I have another cat so its hard to tell if he is using it. I thought maybe he had a cold but he is not sneezing, and doesn't have any eye/nasal discharge. He usually sleeps most of the day anyways so that is not a good indicator of anything being wrong.

Asked by Ping on Feb 22nd 2009 Tagged hairballcoughinggagging in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Boris

It's hard to say if there are no other signs of anything odd. I would say get your cat to the vet asap!! Sometimes when something goes wrong out of the blue it can seem very mild to us, but it may be a very serious problem to the cat. Better be safe than sorry and get it checked out.

Good luck!!

Boris answered on Feb 22nd.

Answers

Please understand that we are not vets here and can't diagnose what's wrong with your kitty. We have absolutely no way of knowing why your cat is making "hairball" noises without observing him. Any time there is a sudden change in behavior of a cat, when they start to do something they've never done before, your kitty needs to go to the vet. If he's eating, it's probably not something stuck in his throat. It could be a myriad of things from a heart condition to a hairball that won't come up. The only one who can make a professional diagnoses is your vet who can examine him face to face and treat him. Unfortunately, we can't do any of those things over the Internet.