Pieci

Why is my cat drooling like crazy!!!! help me fast PLEASE!!!!!

My cat is a one year old male. I was playing with him and he was chasing me when all of a sudden he goes away I follow him... (he didn't eat anything from what I saw) and then I see him all of a sudden drooling like crazy, it was pouring out of his mouth!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED HELP ME! by the way he stoped drooling now but wont drink anything and we looked in his mouth and can't see anything. please help me I need to know what happened to him!

Asked by Pieci on Dec 26th 2008 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Remember that we are not veterinarians here. We cannot diagnose or suggest treatment for your cat because we don't know him and can't possible assume what might be wrong with him. It could be that he has been poisoned or having a seizure of some sort. The only way to find out is to take him to the doctor immediately.

I agree with Izzie, take him to a vet immediately to be checked out. Usually in a young cat drooling means poison or something stuck in their mouth/caught between their teeth. If he had something in his mouth he could have swallowed it since you can't see anything now. Anyway get him to a vet ASAP and they'll be abel to figure out what's wrong.

He probably ate something toxic. Take him to the vet right away and then go back over your house and try to find what he got into so you can lock it up so he can't get to it again. Keep all poisonous items out of reach and locked away to prevent this from happening again.

Tipper

Is this the first time he's drooled at all? Even a tiny bit? Some cats are just droolers, my outdoor cat O.C. (which stands for Outdoor Cat) drools like a Saint Bernard when he's happy or excited. He'll have strings of drool hangin from his mouth and it's just cause he's happy and shows it with his spit. Watch for other signs of a problem such as listlessness, lack of focus, disorentation, vomiting and the like, or if is a chance that he got into something he shouldn't and get him to a vet asap just in case. You may also want to take this opportunity to cat-proof your home and get out of reach anything that can be chewed on or swallowed that could cause harm; plants, wires, strings or cords, chemicals or cleaning products, any small trinkets that can be easily smallowed (safety pins, paperclips, thumbtacks) just like childproofing. Also maybe get him a tray of CatGrass so he has something that's ok to chew on.

Tipper answered on 12/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

charlotte sometimes

charlotte sometimes drools when she is happy. it's not like stringy spit, but drops of water leak from her mouth onto me, my pillow, the book i'm reading. i learned that this response is similar to kneading. kittens knead at their mother's nipples to stimulate the milk while they are suckling. just like human mouths water in the anticipation of food, so do kitties. adult cats still knead and drool when they experience the same feeling of happiness they did when they were young.

charlotte sometimes answered on 1/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer