Why is my cat acting SPOOKED?

My cat is acting strange. She is 2 1/2 years old. My cat acts like it is spooked. When I came home one day she didn't come to the door, she was under my bed and wouldn't come out. Her fur is choppy and looks like it needs to be brushed. She eats and goes to the bathroom fine. What's wrong?

Asked by Member 741429 on Sep 23rd 2008 Tagged spooked, choppyfur, strange in Illness & Disease

Answers

Cherry

She was spooked by sumthing or sumone. Was the weather real bad that day? I know a dog who got spooked by thunderstorm and peed himself.That is called Thunderstorm Phobia. May be when she was alone she heard a loud noise or she saw a dog or cat pass by your window.Anything could have spooked her.Cats usually prefer to hide rather than pace,so trouble is minimized.Thunderstorm phobia is really uncommon in cats but it does sometimes occur under unusual circumstances.One cat became storm phobic because she received an electric jolt from a nearby telephone jack (the result of a secondary lightning strike) while on a countertop.During future storms,the cat hunkered down, hair coat raised, tail bushy and hissed and spit.you can see Usually mild-large pupils,hiding,anti-social behavior Rarely severe-feline affective defense response,which includes large pupils,hair coat raised,tail bushy body hunkered down and tense,hissing and spitting. Use Feliway to calm her down and do not pick her up.

Cherry answered on 9/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Simon

Thats the way Simon was for a long time, I got this spray called " At Ease" from the pet shop, its a calming spray it simulates the feline pheromones, I sprayed that everywhere , because I didnt know what exactly spooked him so with this spray I had everything smelling like a comfort zone , Its kinda like you are spraying comfort zones, I spray it on my chair I sit in and on my clothes to so he would come out and let me brush him and he did calm him down, then ya gotta see what might have spooked him, and if its something that you sprayed then it might not spook him again, this stuff really works, I wasnt sure but I sprayed just my chair and all the kitties were cuddled up in my chair, the next day just on my bed and they were all cuddled on the bed

Simon answered on 9/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pepper

My cat did the same thing one day. I was fortunate enough to find out exactly what happened. You may never know.

There was a bear in the back yard trying to get at the bird feeder. She had 3 cubs with her. She climbed a tree & the branch broke & she and the branch crashed. My neighbor saw it & told me. My cat also saw all this & freaked out. He was ok within a day or two.

If her behavior doesn't change, consider other things. Who else is in your home when you're not there teasing her? Landlord? Cleaning lady? If it's not that, then maybe it's medical. Possibly a condition that makes them nervous. Possibly hyper-thyroid?

Pepper answered on 9/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ivan

Do you live in an apartment? Is it possible that maintenance people are coming in and scaring her? This occurred to me when our cats began acting skittish when I'd come in the door from work. The law here says apartment management is supposed to give notice before entering unless there is an emergency, but if you're gone all day you just never know. We live in a very nice complex, but that's no guarantee that some rogue maintenance person isn't coming in.

GOOD LUCK! Let us know what happens or what you find out. Better get her checked by the vet, too, especially if her fur looks unkempt.

Ivan answered on 10/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer