Why is my cat (7mos) peeing in my sinks and bath tub? he is getting fixed Jan. 23.

Asked by Member 689467 on Jan 20th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Have him checked for a UTI, especially if this is a change from his regular habits.

Make sure his box is very clean. Have you changed litter brands or moved his box? Oscar generally leaves me presents in the bathtub when he's expressing displeasure about something. I changed brands of litter once. He wasn't impressed. MOL

He might be marking which is common for an intact cat. Getting him neutered will help too, not to mention being a great health benefit for him in the long run.

Oscar J. Cat answered on Jan 21st.

Answers

Henry (1996-2010)

The only time my Henry did this is when he had a urinary tract infection and wanted to pee on something cool.

UTI's can be dangerous, so maybe you should take kitty to the vet before getting fixed just in case.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I definitely agree with Henry. You vet will want to rule out a possible urinary problem before doing the surgery. Call the office and explain that you have his neuter surgery scheduled for Friday but he's urinating in the tub and you are concerned that there may be a UTI. At the very least, that is something they will want to check Friday morning before the surgery so you need to tell them.

Max

Your cat is like mine. They try not to pee on the carpet (do not ask me why) but on other things like a chair or like you said in the bath tub. My theroy is that they see it filled with water and think its ok. Since your kitty is just a baby mabye it is just not potty trained.

Max answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

are u keeping the litter box clean? have u tried switching litter to see if he likes the new better, hints from pearl

Sounds like your kitty might have a urinary tract infection (UTI). I foster kittens on occasion and had one kitten who had an overactive bladder. Fortunately, his new mommy is a registered nurse and gives him a pill a day to control the problem. He would pee in the sink or on a bare surface. Neutering may or may not stop the problem. Call your vet prior to the surgery and get him checked out. I really don't think that neutering will stop this particular problem. It sounds more like a UTI or something else. Best of luck.