Clarence

Why has my kitten started "burying" his food?

Clarence has recently started trying to "bury" his food. He has plastic food and water bowls and occasionally I put his wet food on a paper plate. Recently, I have witnessed him pawing/scratching at the floor as if he is trying to bury it (basically the same behavior he uses in the litter box). Is this a normal behavior? What could have caused him to start doing this? He is the only cat in our home and he is inside only. Thank you for your help!

Asked by Clarence on Oct 30th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

This is a completely normal and instinctual behavior. In the wild if a cat cannot finish a meal, they will bury it and dig it up later for seconds. Don't use paper plates anymore unless you want to be scrubbing wet food from the floor. The heavier the dishes, the less likely he will be able to tip some food out. ^_^