Koda

Why doesn't my cat lift his butt or tail when I pet him?

I got a new cat, Lincoln, from the humane society about two months ago. He is about a year old and they think he was a stray. I've had him for two months and he is used to the environment but he acts funny when I pet him. He tucks his butt and tail under when I stroke his back, like when my dog thinks he is in trouble. Does that mean he isn't happy or doesn't like being pet? He has never lifted his tail/butt! Maybe I am just used to my ragdoll "puppy-cat" Koda greeting me at the door with his tail high in the air and rubbing his face all over me :p I just want Lincoln to be as happy as Koda!

Asked by Koda on Jan 23rd 2013 in Books & Entertainment

Answers

Not all cats have "elevator butt". None of mine do, but my daughter's late, sweet Cleo REALLY did. Remember, like people, no 2 cats are alike. Of my 3, Delilah is a cuddler. When I hug and kiss her, she purrs (loudly) and purrs. Lizzie likes to have her head and stomach rubbed but doesn't like to be held. Izzie, the King Brat, likes to be close and/or sit on my lap. I can hug him but only for a few seconds and then he will groom himself for half an hour. If I try to rub his stomach, I get the teeth and the claws. Give Lincoln a chance to get used to your home and decide where he fits in. Because he doesn't act the same way as Koda doesn't mean he's unhappy. And congrats on his Therapy Cat status! Good for BOTH of you!!!

He may be fearful, try gently and let him sniff you first. Give him time. Comparing cats is like comparing siblings- it doesn't do any good. Brush him, give treats like Greenies dental, and let him warm up to you at HIS own pace. Izzie is right on with the previous answer. Just because he is not extremely affectionate does NOT mean that he's not happy, who knows if he was abused, abandoned, or what happened before you adopted him. ^_^