Why does one of my cats pee on my stuff?

I have 4 cats, Carmella, Jenna, Nero, and Angel. Carmella and Jenna were adopted together. I 'stole' Nero from an abuser when he was about 4 weeks old and Angel was adopted by default when she was dropped off for 'a few days' and her owner never came back.
Anyway, Carmella is the only one that pees anywhere other than the litter box, and she only pees on MY stuff, clothes especially. She'll jump into my laundry, either in my room or waiting to be washed, she'll jump up onto my dresser, or if I forget to close a drawer she'll pee in there. I live with 4 other people and she doesn't do it to any of them. She's been doing it for years and she seems to go through phases where she does it more or less. All my babies are spayed (Nero's neutered), well fed, cared for and loved. I just don' t get it!

Asked by Member 830153 on Apr 25th 2009 Tagged peeing in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Mary

With a multi cat household you might want to check out the best book I've ever read about this called: "Cat Wrangling Made Easy" by Dusty Rainbolt. What your Carmella might be doing is trying to mark your relationship by blending her scent and hers. Any other cat sniffing those areas reads "Wow, she's special - she must have a higher status than me." She may do it more if she feels like her status is threatened for some reason. The cure is harder. Try giving her a high place to roost in your room - that gives status. Put a litter box in your room for her so she doesn't have to mark your stuff - maybe put old t-shirts of yours in there. Good luck!

Mary answered on 4/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would suggest taking your Carmella to the vet for some blood work to rule out any illness or UTI. I know it isn't funny that she is peeing on just your things, but I guess this is her way of saying she "owns" you. I don't know, I'm only guessing and trying to find some humor in the situation. Best of luck finding out why she is doing this.