Casey Lynn

Why does my male Maine Coon only bite and scratch my boyfriend?

Kevin is the only man that I clearly have shown affection for and my Maine Coon immediately retreats in a sort of "stay clear of me" mode as soon as he enters the door. Is this usual for the male Maine Coone? Can cats be jealous?

Asked by Casey Lynn on Oct 13th 2008 Tagged bite, scratch, hiss in Aggression

Answers

Is it possible that your bf may have yelled at your cat or even pushed him out of the way with his foot or something? Cats have wonderful memories and can react negatively to people when that person has done something to them that they don't like. Also, if your bf has a loud voice, it could be scaring your cat. And, of course, your cat sees you as "his" and your bf is an interloper. Have your bf play some non-touch games like laser light or fishing pole with your cat. Also, you can have Kevin feed him. Above all, don't force your cat to "like" your bf--that won't work and will only stress everyone out!

Philbert

Your cat can definitely be jelous. My old Terri cat (bless her soul) didn't like any other women besides my mother and I. she would hiss at my female friends, she attacked my little cousin once, and she only tolerated two friend of mine because they would take care of her when we were out of town. It's wierd but cats can certainly get jelous.

Even when I first met my boyfriend his female cat didnt like me at all. I couldnt even pet her (shes not the friendliest cat to begin with) but i could barely get near her, and she loves him. shes better now, but still not thrilled with me.

Or Izzy could be right. A good friend of mine's cat doesn't like men because her dad once yelled and threw something at her once a few years back. But shes runs and hides instead of hissing.

Philbert answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

most cats develop a bond between their owners and them. your Bf may be giving off a certain smell only your cat can sense and its just not sitting right with him. To try to get both of them to bond have him just come over or just really ignore your cat let the cat come to him. Use treats.. Real white meat chicken if he is allowed to have it cooked and cut up as inticing treats and a way to get your cat used to your bf may help. Lol Thats a few ways u can try. Its worth it. Good luck.

Harvey

Cats can most definitely be jealous. My now deceased Boku used to sit on my lap and glare at gentlemen callers, although he wasn't usually a lap cat. And cats can most definitely be jealous of other cats. Maine Coons are supposed to be known for their easy-going personalities, but my neutered male still picks on his little sister (not a littermate), which I think is a sign of jealousy. Maine Coons are not more jealous than other breeds, but they are also not always as laid-back as they are said to be. By the way, your cat is BEAUTIFUL. Seeing that he's purebred, if he's registered with the CFA or TICA, and if you're interested in cat shows, you might consider showing him in the Premiership Class (I assume he's neutered). He'd be sure to make Grand Premier if you put him in enough shows. I know, because he looks a lot like my Harvey.

Harvey answered on 10/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer