Why does my male cat jump on my female cat (they are brother and sister)and they fight like to tomcats?

She is so scared and nervous to come out from under furniture. What can I do?

Asked by Member 625987 on Sep 29th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If your cats are not fixed, then even if they are brother and sister, all bets are off if your male is trying to mate with your female. Get them spayed and neutered if they aren't, and that may calm him down. If they are fixed, you may have to put the male in a room or "time out" when he attacks the female. But first, make sure he isn't just trying to play with her. If it's true fighting, there is no reason you can't discipline him by putting him in a room by himself and telling him "NO!" He'll learn that when he starts that behavior, all he gets for it is a room alone for a few minutes. Never hit or spray him. Hitting solves nothing and by spraying him, you may also get the female, and she's done nothing to deserve it. If they are outdoor cats, you may try to get them to stay inside. Outdoor cats can be a lot more aggressive than indoor cats can be.