Peaches

Why does my kitten make strange noises?

She's only 3 months old, so she is very young. I have noticed when she gets excited and starts to run and jump around, she makes these "cooing" sounds that are similar to a dove. Sometimes, it sounds like a very quiet bark. I've looked everywhere on the internet but I can't seem to find out the reason behind these noises. Does anyone else's kitten or cat make these noises?

Asked by Peaches on Jan 25th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

It's called chirping and they learn it from their mothers. My kitten does it to call out to me or one of the cats, or when she is carrying a toy around in her mouth. This is a very common and normal cat behavior. Ensure that you are feeding a healthy kitten-only food for her first year like MaxCat, sold in most pet stores. ^_^