Why does my female spayed cat pee standing up? She is going over the sides of the litter box.

I have changed to a box with a cover, but she still is going on the inside walls of the cover. I have 2 cats, 2 litter boxes. No problem with the other cat. They are about 9 months old.

Asked by Member 440538 on Dec 28th 2007 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Morgana - forever my soul

Some cats just pee standing up. With others, it could be a dominance thing. Not that that the one who stands up is bossy, but she may consider herself the older, more grown-up adult cat compared to the other one.

Like Izzie suggested though, get her checked to make sure there's no medical reason for this.

I found that buying a Rubbermaid or other storage plastic bin works far better than litter boxes. They're more sturdy & give more room for a cat to move in when doing their business. And for those who pee standing up, you can buy those with sides high enough that no cat will pee over the top unless they're standing on their head. (-;

Morgana - forever my soul answered on Dec 28th.

Answers

Maybe you might want to take your kitty to the vet to make sure she's not sore down there or born with some condition that makes it necessary for her to pee standing up. She also might not like the feel of whatever litter you are using. I used one once that was like rock salt and my late, great Shizzie started peeing outside the box just to let me know he didn't like the litter. Two cats, even from the same litter can be totally different. They are really individuals and not pack animals like dogs. So, what one does won't necessarily reflect on the others.