Why does my cat vomit after eating?

Clover has been vomiting after eating her dry food. She is on a special diet because of her weight. Our vet said he could not find anything wrong with her and the second vet said the samething. We can not change food because of the diet. The food is only put down three times daily for her and the amount for the day is one cup. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.
Christy

Asked by Member 127195 on Jun 1st 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

If the vets say there is nothing wrong with her and if she was not doing it before the diet, then my guess would be that she's eating too fast. If her food is limited, then she is probably so hungry when it's time to eat that she's gobbling it and then yacking it back up. My previous cat Stormy did that her whole life because she ate too fast. All my cats have always been free fed so she always had plenty, but she still ate too fast. The other possibility is that the food just doesn't agree with her. We had tried a Natural Baloance limited ingredient diet for Blaze's allergies and it made her barf. I understand that Clover has to have a diet food but perhaps they could suggest a different one? Vets usually carry a specific brand but they should be able to suggest another one that will work as well. Weight loss diets are not as restrictive as something like IBD or Urinary diets would be.

Spike

My Fat Cat is Spike, and when I consulted the vet about weight loss, he said that it's not the variety of food so much as the number of calories. In some cases, diet food is so unsatisfying that the cats want to eat more, more, more, because they are simply not getting satisfaction out of their diet. I think that Allie's post is right on the mark, but I also think that (gasp!) you should ignore your vet's advice for a while and try a different diet food OR give Clover regular food, just in smaller quantities. This may not solve her possible habit of gobbling down her food, but it's worth a try. Do, however, get a numerical schedule on (1) what your cat's target weight is; (2) how long it should take to attain it (losing weight too quickly is dangerous); and (3) how many calories are necessary to sustain the cat but at the same time promote weight loss. Your vet can provide this information; if your present vet simply recommends a certain diet food, I'd go for a second opinion.

Spike answered on 6/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

KuJu Ku

When we were kittens I used to do that.
Then mom switched my food and it stopped.

KuJu Ku answered on 6/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

I would get off that prescription food, this is most likely your problem. it is also not going to help your cat loose weight in a healthy way.
This food will only make for a grumpy cat.
If you want to loose weight the proper way, switch to a high protein, grain free Wet food, (No Dry) and feed about 270 calories a day, this is all you need, going by the weight you have on your profile. If you are not 15 lbs, take the weight of cat, times that by 13.6 and add 70, this will give you the amount of calories you should have in a day. Amount of calories are usually posted on pet food companies web sites. Wellness and Evo are some good foods to try.

Shadow answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer