Why does my cat suddenly keep peeing in the house outside of her litter box?

My cat keeps peeing outside of her litterbox in the same spot in the house. Shes never had a problem before using her litterbox. Is it more likely to be a behavioral or medical problem? I took her to the vet a month ago for her annual and she was in perfect health. Until recently she has been an indoor/outdoor cat but she started running across the busy street we live on, which she used to avoid. We also have another outdoor neighbor cat that attacks her. I've kept her in to keep her from getting hurt but she constantly meows to go out and darts every chance she gets. Is there any way to fix the problem of her peeing in the house and could it be related to keeping her inside? if so, is there a way to make the transitions from outside to inside easier?

Asked by Member 1108733 on May 1st 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Before addressing any behavioral issues, you must rule out the possibility that she has a bladder infection or "uti". This can only be done with a urine sample at the vet's. This and stress are the 2 most common reasons cats stop using the box. If it's behavioral, chances are she's "telling" the neighbor's cat that this is HER space so she's marking that place with urine. She probably did the same thing outside to let this cat know. Give her a few extra boxes in the house. It's very difficult to make an inside cat out of a formerly outside one. I've tried it twice and it didn't work. Unfortunately, I lost both cats on the road. Clean up her marks with an oxy-based cleaner available at the grocery or pet store. Follow directions to rid the area of her scent. You can also try speaking with the neighbor about their cat attacking yours, but that seldom works. If the cat comes into your yard, a well placed water hose may discourage it.

for info about transitioning an outdoor cat to an indoor cat, go to the ASPCA and HSUS websites and the cat pages at ask.com.