Blaze

why does my cat scratch the wall by the litter box after he uses it? and how do i get him to stop?

i looked for answers online and some sites say it could be the box isdirty but i have a self cleaning litter box and i check it daily and empty it as needed about every other day. some have said that the litter box mite be too small for him but we have another cat (who we have had before we got him) and she is a little bit big than he is and she uses it just fine. and she has never scratched the wall.

Asked by Blaze on May 7th 2010 Tagged catscratchingwall, wall, scratching, litterbox in Behavior & Training

Answers

Umesaburo

It's because that cats are mostly hard-wired to scratch something after doing their duty. You will find that there are cats who neatly bury their doo-doo (like my Umesaburo) and those who run out of the toilet the moment they have done their businsess--even if the toilet is clean. And then there are some who scratch upwards rather than downwards--don't ask me why--and if you have a hooded toilet, they scratch the side, and if you don't, they scratch the wall. Try both kinds of litter pans. Either one drives me nuts! Keeping the toilet clean is the first line of defense, but no guarantee that cats will scratch the sand rather than another surface. Ah, the joys of cats...

Umesaburo answered on 5/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

Some cats are more picky than others about their litter box~ so what works for one does not always work for another. I don't have a self cleaning litter box, but it is my understanding that small pieces don't get picked up by the rake. These small pieces might cause your cat to feel like his box is not as clean as he prefers. Remember that their noses are much more sensitive to smells than our nose. You could try putting out another litterbox~ the general rule is 1 box per cat plus 1 extra box. Best of luck to you!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 5/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rainey

My past cat use to do that to. Cat's dig to hide their waste and to cover their scent. So, perhaps your cat is trying to cover his scent by pawing at the wall as it is part of the box. Also, it could be that the litter is sticking to his paws and that's bothering him. My only suggestions is to try a different litter with superior odor control. However, I think it is his personality to paw at the wall and most likely won't change.

Rainey answered on 5/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kenya

As disturbing as it sounds, I've been quite entertained by the antics of my cats in the litter tray, every single one has been different.

One of mine does exactly this, but he'll spend about 5 minutes after he's finished, trying to cover his mess, but only scratching at the wall or the edge of the litter box. I've always put it down to his stupidity.

So I don't know that you can do much about the issue really. I think it's just your cat, not the tray at all. You could always try not having it next to a wall?

Kenya answered on 5/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer