Ashes

Why does my cat poop next to the litterbox, but not in it??

Asked by Ashes on Jun 25th 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Sometimes I have "escapees" from the litter box too. Occasionally, the feces will get kicked out by overenthusiastic covering. Cats will also protest a litter box that's not clean enough for them by pooping next to it. Or, if you have multiple cats and only one box, they don't want to use a place someone else has just used. Think of a public restroom where the person before you didn't flush. Yuck. It could also be that if your cat is too big for the box, she doesn't realize her business end is hanging out. I solved this issue for my 19 pound Maine Coon by using a large Rubbermaid underbed box. Finally, it could be a health issue. Cats have two glands on either side of their rectum that secrete fluids to say, in the "wild" that "I was here and this is MY territory!" Usually, these glands empty themselves during defecation, but sometimes they become infected or impacted. It can cause discomfort when they try to 'go' and they think the box is causing it. A vet can empty them for her.

In addition to the previous reply, have you changed litter brands recently? If so, your cat is stating his preference in a stinky way. Scooping every day also helps. Sometimes my guys miss by accident because their rear is too high up, but it's usually pee, which smells much worse! Try OxiAdvantage to help get the smells out. ^_^