Why does my cat pet me?

When he comes up to cuddle he MUST put his paws on my face or neck. if it happened only once in awhile or he stopped after i pushed his paws away i wouldn't be so curious. its funny to watch, but is there something behind it?

Asked by Member 801518 on Feb 6th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Boris

My kitty does that sometimes. It's his way to say he wants my full and undivided attention (in other words, he wants to be petted "Right now!"). Does he make kneading motions on you with his paws? That also means "This is nice, I am happy!"

A lot of cats do that, but not necessarily on humans. One of mine doesn't do that at all (she's more into "affection" licking), and the other does it to the blanket on our bed most of the time (sometimes he does it to me, too, but mostly he does it to the blanket right next to me, because he knows that being pawed by untrimmed claws bothers me).

Sounds like your kitty really loves you. :)

Boris answered on 2/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Calypso has always touched my face when she's not getting enough attention from me. My dad did everything he could to get her to stop it but all he did was get her to stop liking him.

Some cats just like the feel of human skin on their paws. All he's doing is just trying to get closer to you.

He's putting his scent on you. He loves that you are giving him attention and is telling everyone in the house that you belong to him! rubbing his head,paws,body,ect on you, he's loving on you! its okay!

Diablo (Didi)

I do it to my mom when she is sleeping! I want to cuddle and fall asleep with my paws on her face. Most the time she pushes me away and says "Didi come on", but I just go back and try again! Then ma moves my paws to her neck because she knows I wont leave her alone:) I also tend to d this more in the morning when I'm hungry and want mom to wake up and feed me! I'm such a smart kitty!!!
None of the other kitties do this, just me... although Lily has her own trick, she licks and bites mama's hair!

Diablo (Didi) answered on 2/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When Izzie lays on my lap in the evening, he always sticks his leg out and puts his paw on my hand. That ends my reading or needlework time, but I really don't mind. For one thing, I can hold his paws and clips his claws without much problem because he's used to having his feet touched and held.