Why does my cat need to put a piece of his food in his water bowl befour he drinks the water?

Does my cat have a vision problem?
He does'nt seem to realize there is water in his bowl unless he puts a piece of food in the water.
Sometimes I'll do it for him.
Is this a normal thing that some cats will do?

Asked by Member 804987 on Aug 31st 2009 in Answers

Answers

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds

Mine do it if I put their bowls too close, but they don't NEED the food to know there's water. It's probably just his way of hunting. When a cat catches a mouse, they sometimes drown them. Mine like to throw my hair ties in their bowl, and they pull them out later. Your cat is just quirky. Embrace it. :)

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My 3 will occasionally do that, but my daughter's are notorious for mucking up their water bowl with food. When I visit, I put the bowl on the opposite side of table and that usually takes care of it. It doesn't mean your cat has a vision problem, but if you notice other signs that he might indeed have one, the only one who can tell for sure is your vet.

The Magnificent Seven

My cats put their toys in the food bowl. Fake mousie looks like food=belongs in food bowl. Sometimes they put their toys in the water dish, and what is undoubtedly a toxic dye comes out. I check their water several times a day to make sure that the water and food bowls are full and clean.

The Magnificent Seven answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats can't really see still water; this is why some cats will push/knock into a water bowl before drinking (to make the water move) or put a foot in first. It's also why a lot of times cats seem to put their faces too close to the water and end up sneezing.

So, your cat may have devised a clever system. Or your food dish is too close to the water dish. One or the other. :)