why does my cat lick so much?

he will excessivly lick my arm pits, hair line on my forehead...anywhere there is skin, you have to push him away or cover yourself.......why does he do this?

Asked by Member 772901 on Dec 1st 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cats, like humans, can indulge in obsessive-compulsive disorder. It's seen mostly in cats who were separated too early from their mothers. It can be a comfort behavior like kneading. It can also be because your cat likes whatever deodorant, shampoo, hairspray, lotion, etc. that you use. It's a bit extreme, but you may want to put hot sauce on your skin to discourage him. Contrary to popular belief, a cat's tongue/saliva are not sterile. Excessive licking can cause rashes and itching. You can also try spraying him by keeping a spray bottle of plain water or water with a few drops of vinegar in it. (Don't aim for his eyes.)