Why does my cat lick random things such as trash bag, and sometimes even the wall?

Asked by Member 970351 on Mar 4th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Joey

I have heard from other owners that some cats do this because of anxiety - and others say it's a symptom of something missing in their diets - Pica. I would talk to the vet - cats can sometimes ingest things that seem innocuous to us but they can be toxic to the cat. I know that cats who lick magazines can get very sick because of the inks on the page. Talk to the vet and see if it's medical or purely behavioral.

Joey answered on 3/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rex

Whatever the underlying reason is alot of cats like to lick plastic. My boys love it and it is very dangerous if they eat it. I have no plastic in my house, I know they wil get into it. One of my cats used to lick the rug and ate dustbunnies. Another bad thing for cats is cotton swabs and hair sqruchies. My vet told me these two things were the most popular for cats to eat and for him to surgically remove from their intensines.

Rex answered on 3/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey gives excellent advice,especially about the ink on magazines. I've heard that plastic grocery bags contain animal fat. It's used somehow in the process of making the bags. They say that the cats can smell the fat and then try to eat the bags. As Joey says, check with your vet to see if there might be something missing in kitty's diet. Eating things they're not supposed to can cause very costly and potentially fatal intestinal blockages.