Elsa

Why does my cat drag her long feather/tail on-a-stick-toy to my location then yolws likes she's in grave pain?

Lately she drags this toy to JUST outside of whatever room I am in, then proceeds to yowl like she's dying. The first time she did it I went running, thinking she had hurt herself. If I don't immediately go to her, the yolws get more gutteral and more intense.

Then, I thought she was doing this to get me to play, but when I try to play with her with the toy, she just walks around me uniterested.

Does this have something to do with "killing prey"?

Asked by Elsa on Jan 20th 2011 Tagged behavoir, meowing, yolwing, playingwithtoys, attention in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Maggie

I think that she is killing it. Maggie has a toy that sounds just like what you describe and she makes her strange chirpy noises at it and "buries" it in the bathtub, the closet or under the bed. It seems to bring out the hunter instinct in her. She does not want me to play with her and seems frustrated if I rescue it from the hiding place. I have 8 cats, so I have 8 different versions of wierdness. I don't really try to figure out why they do things anymore. ;)

Maggie answered on 1/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maggie, you crack me up. I "know" your mom and I know that you and your sisters (and your doggie brother) have your mom totally under your control! Delilah has a "chitter mouse" that she loves and does the same thing with. It makes noise like a real mouse. She "kills" it over and over and then takes it into her bed with her. But then again, are you certain she's not having a false pregnancy? Female cat moms will often bring a kitten to their human for approval and yowl until the human tells them they're wonderful. This can happen even if your cat is spayed. It's rare, but it does happen. If this is getting on your nerves and/or getting more intense, I'd be tempted to call her vet just to check.

Sydney

i have 2 cats. each one has a different personality. Misty will Meow and meow til u answer her. and then she will meow again. Sydney gets in a mood where she runs and chirps. sometimes she could be in a different room and she lets out a loud meow like she hurt herself and when i go find her she runs like a nascar kitty. i think its all a game to them. just to see how we human will react to them lol...

Sydney answered on 1/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marshall

My cat does does this when he carries around his little stuffed mouse. Its very funny. It's like a yowl of triumph that he caught it or something. I don't think it's anything to worry about. He's just letting you know he won the fight!

Marshall answered on 2/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer