misty

why does my cat do circles around me?

Every night when my husband and i get into bed and watch television my cat will slowly do circles around me and if you catch her she growls or bites-when we finally shut tv off she will continue the circles for a while and then stop-why does she do this??

Asked by misty on Feb 18th 2010 in The Catster Website

Answers

Boy, that's one I've never heard before! My cat kneads for ten minutes before she lays down and if I interrupt her, she starts all over again, but she doesn't growl or bite. I know that if I were you, I would not tolerate the biting. Either don't touch her when she starts doing this or get some "canned air" like we use to clean our computers from the office supply store and give her a blast of that (but not in the face) when she bites and say "NO BITE!" It's possible that this is her bedtime ritual, she may be looking for "predators" in your bedroom before she lays down. Cats and dogs often make small circles as if they were making a bed in the grass outdoors, but I've never heard of a cat 'circling the wagons' at night around their people's beds. If her behavior has changed in any other way, you may want to call your vet to make sure she has no health issues. And, if she's not spayed, do so as that will calm her down.

I almost wanted to say, "Maybe she doesn't like your choice of TV programs!", but you're not looking for a facetious answer. Izzie gives good advice. Like Izzie, I've never heard of this either. My cats will often circle around (SMALL circles) on top of the bed or wherever they choose to sleep that night before finally settling down. Perhaps she's trying to protect you by making sure that there's nothing dangerous lurking around your bed? How does she act when the TV is on during the daytime when you're not in bed? Does the sound disturb her? Also, how is your bedroom arranged? If you have a window from which she can see, sense, or smell the presence of another cat, this could be a case of displaced aggression--lashing out at you since she can't get to the other cat. These are all just wild guesses. The circling behavior may just be an oddity, but the biting must stop.

How old is your cat? My cat has begun circling and meowing loudly in the past few months. I believe it has something to do with her being 14. The doctor has not found anything wrong with her and thinks it could possibly be kitty alzheimers. She circles a lot at night while we're sleeping (and wakes us up) and also circles me when I'm sitting on the floor. She has quit jumping up on higher surfaces and is quite grumpy. Sometimes I think she doesn't remember her family or just doesn't like us anymore. My other cat is 14 and he is fine. He's healthy, friendly, and climbing the walls like always. I think she could just be growing old a lot faster than him.