Why does my cat cry so much at night and in the early morning?

We both work full-time, and have done so since we first had her. We do try to play with her and give her lots of attention in the evening to make sure she is not neglected.

When we go on holiday, we send her to one of our friend's catteries, where she is well looked after. When we get back, she tends to spend the first few nights sleeping on our pillows (I guess it's a sign she missed us), but after this period she tends to go through phases where she will wake us up crying around 4.30 to 6.30 each morning.

Usually she has plenty of food left, so it cannot be because she is hungry. We are guessing it is because she wants attention, but this is a major problem as it leaves us very tired each and every day.

Should we try and play with her even more, or would she like a companion?

Asked by Member 871456 on Sep 13th 2011 Tagged crying, night, nighttime in Behavior & Training

Answers

I've heard many people say that if you can afford the extra expense, two cats are easier than one. I didn't believe it until our second kitten joined us, but it's true! They keep each other entertained, they keep each other calm if anything unusual happens, and they are generally just very good company for one another. Ralphie seemed more emotionally needy before Randy came along. We still give them both lots of human attention and they aren't shy about asking for more if they want it (yes, sometimes during the pre-dawn hours when they're ready to start the day). But often, they're content and happy to play with each other, or to just hang out together and nap.

Since you wonder if she would like a companion, you're probably sensing that she may be lonely. I say try adopting a friend for her! If you have a local shelter or rescue, they can help you find a good companion cat. Also, they may have a program in place to let you foster a cat before adopting to make sure it's a good fit.

I agree that getting a companion for her, if you can afford it and don't mind the extra work of a fuller litter box, is a wonderful idea. You don't say how old she is, but I would try to get a cat around her age. The sex of the second cat doesn't matter as long as both cats are altered. It's more the personality of the second cat that's important. Go to a reputable shelter. If you don't like the way the shelter looks or the way you are treated by staff, then leave and find another. Explain your lifestyle and requirements to them and they will try to match you to a cat for a succesful adoption.

Layla

I agree completely with Izzie, and Ralphie & Randy - they provided great answers. Since I live with a brother and several rescued 'sisters' I can attest to the great benefit of having a companion, or even multiple companions. However, don't count on complete quiet every night. Cats running through the house/apartment and playing can be very loud - occasionally sounding like a herd of elephants - at 3 am.

Layla answered on 9/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer