why does my cat chew on my fingers

Asked by Member 809270 on Feb 27th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Izzie will wake from a sound sleep, bat at my hand and draw my fingers to his mouth. He "chews" (not hard) on one for a few seconds and then goes back to sleep. Some Catsters say that this might be because our kitties were separated or didn't get enough attention from Mama Cat when they were babies, or that they were weaned too early. Cats do chew, sometimes like dogs, and it's been said that it's OK to give them Greenies or even dog chew toys if they'll chew on them. Iz and Lily are in the process of destroying a vacuum cleaner box right now. It's not a good idea to encourage your cat to chew or bite on your hands because some day he could forget himself and bite down too hard. If he's a kitten, he may be teething and like a baby, chewing feels good on his gums. If he's really determined to chew on you, I'd give him a firm "No!" and replace your fingers with a catnip mousie. If he continues, walk away and ignore him. You may want to check with your vet to rule out any dental issues.

Teddy Pom Pom

Teething, to me it is the same as puppy teething and with all 4 of my cats i just had to be firm and say no and dont let them do it.
eventually they stopped

Teddy Pom Pom answered on 2/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer