Steve

Why does my cat chew?

My cat is about 15 months old. He chews on boxes, magazines, end tables, and even chewed my laptop power cord (the only cord he has ever chewed). I feed him Meow Mix Indoor Formula. He has done this since he was about 6 months old.

Asked by Steve on Oct 12th 2007 Tagged chewing in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Moxie

When Moxie was a kitten, she liked to play with and chew on power cords so I wrapped them with sticky tape and wiped bitter apple spray (available at pet stores) on the cords (away from the plug of course). It took a couple of weeks of reapplying tape and spray but she no longer messes with cords. As for things like magazines, paper, and kleenex, she seemed to outgrow chewing those on her own.

Moxie answered on Oct 13th.

Answers

Sunshine

All cats chew.It's just natural for it.As it grows older it will stop.It's just being curois.

Sunshine answered on 10/12/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Loki

Just watch that you don't swallow anything dangerous!

Loki answered on 10/12/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

See my question about my cat, Gracie, who has a "thing" about chewing plastic. (I forgot to mention that she has done a real number on the shower curtain!) Gracie and Steve are about the same age-- 15 months. Gracie and her brother eat a combination of Royal Canin and Science Diet, with some of that high falutin' canned stuff that could pass for Chicken Florentine. Will, the boy-cat, has no interest in plastic. Hmmm... maybe Gracie and Steve should start a group-- "Chewers Anonymous"??