Why does my cat carry all my socks around?

We took in a cat about 4 years ago and she has the strangest behavior which my husband and I have no idea what it means...She will go into our sock drawers (or pick up a sock if found any where in the house) and bring it out to the living room and meow the whole time she is carrying it. She will eventually drop it and the meowing stops. She's about 13 years old. Someone says it's her "hunting" and she is bringing us her kill. She will sometimes play with the sock, but most of the time she just drops it and walk away. I find socks all over the house - I laugh, but I wonder if it means something more.

Asked by Member 1179113 on Jul 8th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Your friend is correct. Not only is it fun and instinctual, but they do smell like you (cats' smell sense is better than humans). You need to laugh because it is cute and she is showing her affection for you. My cat likes used band-aids; it can always be worse!! ^_^