Why does my cat bring us random objects (like packs of tissues & a shoehorn) while meowing loudly then take them back?

My 9 year old black Burmese likes to bring us random things from around the house. If she can carry it in her mouth, it's fare game. She likes to wander the house with them, meowing very loudly, drop them at our feet, and then take them back once we comment on her find. Often, I wake up with these items in the bed with me. What is going on?

Asked by Member 1153817 on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged toys, objects, hunting, gifts in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats, like people, all have different personalities. Your cat doesn't identify the things you give her to play with as "toys" and she feels everything on the floor or wherever she is that's small enough for her to carry as "her's". Bringing it to you is actually an honor. She identifies you as the "alphas" of her pack and she's showing you what a good pack member she is. In her mind, she's hunted down this rubber band or whatever, killed it and brought it to you to show you she is a contributing member of the group/family. If she were an outdoor cat, she'd probably be bringing you mice, chipmunks, etc.

Taffy AKA

Since she can't bring you a mouse or a rat, she is bringing these things to you as a treat! As the other poster said, it's an honor and a show of affection. My maine coone mix, Taffy, he hunts socks! He gets them out of the clean laundry and meows loudly, running through the house, all the while looking around. Some days there will be more than 20 socks strewn around the house. He has recently moved up to "larger" prey and has started bringing shirts, underwear, small towels, and the other day, my daughter caught him with a toy helicopter in his mouth, LOL! That was the funniest thing ever! He will line his treasures up in a neat little row usually. It's quite comical. I think I have a picture of him on his page with his socks strewn about the house. Don't worry, kitty is bringing you gifts. My outside feral brings me rats.....EEK! I much prefer Taffy's socks :)

Taffy AKA "Turd Ferguson" answered on 2/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer