Boo

why does My Cat Boo like to play while I am in the bathroom?

When I am in the bathroom Ahem(preoccupied)Boo seems to want to play with me while I am busy. Why does he like to do this?

Asked by Boo on Nov 17th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Cali

Lots of cats love it when their owners use the bathroom. We are very smart. We see you "sitting" there and not doing anything and we see an opportunity for free attention. You have to admit it's better than when we come lay on the book you're reading or and try to help you bake, right? If you can spare the distraction it can be nice to give him a few pats or even invite him to sit with you if you're going to be a while. Cats aren't bothered that you're taking care of business and it sneaks in a few extra minutes of cuddle time each day. ...Plus if Boo is anything like some of the especially bold cats in my family your guests will be just tickled when the cat is pounding on the door to be let in while they are using the facilities!

Cali answered on Nov 18th.

Answers

Cali's right! Cats don't understand that when we "sit" there, it's not like sitting in our favorite easy chair. Lizzie tries to get up on my lap when I'm on the toidy! Izzie sits on the edge of the tub and just stares at me. (He's also fallen in the tub when I'm bathing and after I've showered he'll sit with a rapt expression and stare up at the dripping showerhead as if it were Victoria Falls or something. I've often told them they needn't worry. I'm coming out the same door that I went in and promise not to try to sneak out the window. We discuss the events of the day, what mischief they've gotten into that could be blamed on the dogs, the state of the Economy, etc.