Nila

why does my cat bite my wrist when I hold her while she is purring

I adopted my cat last July and she was a year old
we bonded quickly and she is the sweetest cat I have ever had
when I come home my cat is so happy to see me but when I pick her up she purrs and bites my wrist
is that her way of being playful?

Asked by Nila on Jun 15th 2013 in The Catster Website

Answers

Most cats don't like to be picked up. Delilah is the only one of my 3 who will tolerate it, and SHE used to be a biter. Go figure. Cats don't like to have their feet off the ground. It makes them feel like they're not "in control". It could also be that she is so excited to see you she can't control herself and biting is like giving you a hug and kiss. If it's a quick nip that doesn't break the skin and it's without hissing or clawing, then it's just a "love-bite" from her. If she grabs your hand with her paws and with claws out, it's a defense mechanism and you'd be better off to just sit down and invite her up on your lap for a few seconds to say "hello, I missed you!" And make sure to never play with her using your bare hands. Always have a toy for her to play with.