why does my cat bite me sometimes when i am peting him and he is purring?

Sometimes when i am petting my cat he will bite me.

Asked by Member 989667 on Jun 1st 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kiko

Hi. I'm not an expert just a cat owner but sometimes our cat does this too. Usually it is because he is resting or sleeping next to us on the couch and after patting he gets annoyed (probably just wants to sleep) and then goes to bite us. I read somewhere that you shouldn't pat your cats or bother them when they are sleeping. I pat him all the time when he is sitting next to me so my only thought is that every so often he just wants to be left alone. When he does this we give him a firm 'NO', sometimes tapping him gently on the top of the head to show we mean business, but also stop and leave him alone.

Kiko answered on 6/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie/ In loving memory

Like the other poster said whe he does this stop petting him. He could be annoyed at the petting and he could just be playing. One of my cats does that sometimes when I pet him, he is just playing. I just stop petting him. Also, cats have different threshold limits on petting and he could be letting you know that his limit has been reached.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 6/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miley

I'm not an expert either but there are two things I can think of and one of them is what the others said. They just purely want to relax and be left alone.
My other thought is WHERE are you petting them? Both of my male cats hate being pet on their sides or stomach. So if they are laying next to me and I'm just petting them and not paying attention. . one will give a warning "nip" and the other will start whipping his tail as his warning.

Miley answered on 6/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer