Why does my cat attack me when hes cuddling on my lap randomly at nights?. Is it play or An act of dominance?

He is 8, bengal. Male, loves attention, (quite demanding actually)

Asked by Member 1153995 on Feb 6th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

My Delilah, the Divine Diva, just did the same thing. She came up on my lap and when I cuddled her, she growled, gave me a dirty look and left. She's probably off sulking somewhere now. Delilah was at the shelter for a year because she is a biter. Over the 5 years I've had her, I've learned to read her signs. Luckily (for me) she growls before she bites (sometimes). I also know she doesn't like to be brushed on her sides and stomach, That's biting AND claws. Most of the time she lays (lies? on my lap I don't touch her other than scratching her ear for a few seconds which she tolerates. If your cat does this for no reason he should go to the vet to make sure he isn't sore someplace.Then he needs to be firmly put down on the floor, told "NO BITE" (don't shriek or throw him down) and if you have to, get up and walk away.You can also try a soda can with pennies taped inside or one of those canned air keyboard-cleaners (but don't spray it right in his face).