why does my cat...????

I have a 1O month old male norwegian forest cat,he tends to enjoy kneeding my throw pillows on the couch,an purrs and it seems to arouse him where he goes through spurts of "masturbation" while hes kneeding..h does this often and Im not sure what to do about it.I feel its becaue I have not gotten him neutered yet..but I dont want to embarrasse him and make him feel bad about it,so I try to ignore it,And he goes everyday meowing for hours a around the house.and Iam trying to follow what my local vet said as per her instructions to not let him outside because hes not neutered.also he is consistantly clawing at my walls,doorways,cabinitry and mirrors.its very annoying..what could I do to stop this behaviour?

Asked by Member 1087053 on Jan 25th 2012 in Scratching

Answers

First of all, a cat is not capable of being "embarrassed" What he is doing is undesirable and should be discouraged. It is normal for cats to kneed on pillows or blankets or even their human's lap when content and comfortable. It is not normal for them to become "aroused" by the behavior. But the simple solution is that your cat needs to be neutered before the behavior escalates to marking and peeing all over your house. There is nothing else that you can do to stop him except to schedule his neutering as soon as possible. For the clawing, you need to keep his claws trimmed and provide him with a cat tree or other proper place to claw. Cats need to stretch and sharpen their claws and can be taught to do it properly. When you see him clawing a wall, etc, scold him and redirect him to the cat tree. You can also ask your vet about "soft paws" which are plastic caps that they glue on the claws to prevent them from doing any damage.

Unless you are a professional breeder who plans to breed this cat, or send him out to stud, you need to get him neutered as soon as you can. When an intact male or female cat is being controlled by ancient mating instincts and hormones, I've seen them claw and chew their way through walls to get out. If he does get out, you may never see him again. Having him neutered stops too many behaviors and health risks to list here. It's not a magical cure-all, but can definitely alleviate the behaviors you have written about. Realistically, embarrassment is not something that domestic animals display unless we assign that emotion to them by giving them human characteristics. Your cat also will not "hold it against" you if you have him desexed. You will be keeping him healthier by removing the threat of male cancer. You have no chance of stopping this behavior until you have him desexed, and the longer you wait and the more sexually mature he becomes, the longer it will take.

Harvard

Have him neutered NOW, please. Neutering is a cheap and simple surgery. There is no good reason for letting a cat go unsexed, unless you are a breeder and prepared to deal with vicious spray odors and the like. My neutered boys like to knead and yes, they have the occasional erection. This is not due to an incomplete surgery, but to instinct. Do get over your icky poo response to feline sexuality. As to whether or not removal of the testes prevents cancer, more than one vet has opined that cats without testicles are unlikely to get testicular cancer. Worry about future health problems is less of an issue at this point than is the worry that your kitty could spray or escape. Have him neutered.

Harvard answered on 1/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The most simple answer would be to have him neutered. I think that would stop most of this behavior. Desexing a cat helps them to live longer & live a more happier life.