Thomas

Why does my adult male cat eat gravel/dirt from my driveway?? He only does this when left alone for a period of time.

He only does this when being left alone for a period of time..for example when I have to run errands. He always looks up at me like he's looking for approval of some type. I have wondered if this is a normal thing for a cat to do or does he have some type of separation anxiety going on. He is a large cat weighing around 15 lbs. I know he gets hungry but he is fed quite well even snacking in between meals. I was told this was a condition called "Pica" but I'm not 100% convinced of this. Please any suggestions would be welcomed. Also he throws up alot. Especially if his world is turned upside down for any reason. He has been doing this off and on for years. I don't think it is hairballs either. I think he may have contracted some type of virus as the other cats that were around him when I first came in contact with Thomas all died from similar symptoms. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on a fixed income and it is hard to take him in for any type of diagnosis.

Asked by Thomas on Jan 30th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Max

Pica means they are so inclined to "ingest" things not usually considered food. I had experience with a dog who suffered with this and seen worst cases. It doesnt seem hunger drives them but over eating food seems to go hand in hand. Humans also get pica. Good thing for pets we can control their environment and watch them. Sometimes thats all you can do. I have a cat that had pica. He ate an aluminum screen. He still likes to eat things that make him puke but carefull watching and precautions along with xtra love he doesnt do it anymore. Pica seems to afflick humans and animals that are insecure and need xtra love and attention. Studys prove once they receive this, they improve. Tuff love will prove fatal for these ultra sensitive souls

Max answered on Feb 6th.

There Are No Other Answers