why does my 12 year old cat eat her poop

i hear her licking something in her litter box and she comes out with litter stuck to her mouth. she's also not eating much of her dry food. she also throws up once or twice a week that i know of. she's also skinnier and less energetic lately. when i scoop the litter box each day, i rarely find anything to scoop. i'm guessing she's eating her poop because perhaps her teeth or jaw hurt and she might not like to chew??

Asked by Member 594950 on Feb 23rd 2008 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

It's called Pica in cats too. There are several reasons for this, the primary reason being nutritional. Given your cat's age, a visit to the vet is imperative. There are so many different things that can cause Pica, too many to discuss within the 1000 characters allowed in this answer window. And being an elderly cat, some of these causes can be very serious.

If you can pmail me your email addy, I will send you some literature on Pica & inappropriate ingestion conditions for you to consider. But your cat really should get to a vet ASAP...

Best wishes,

answered on Feb 23rd.

Answers

Cleo (The Queen)

Get her to the vet-she is probably short on vit. or minerals.

Cleo (The Queen) answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Queenie

Sometimes when cats lack certain vitamins or minerals they will start to eat their own poop.

You should get her to the vet RIGHT AWAY she is probably sick.

Queenie answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rose

She is probably eating the litter. This can happen when they are nauseated or lacking in some nutrient. There is a name for it, it's called PICA when people eat clay. I don't know the name of it when cats do it.

My Sister Maggie has CRF and gets nauseated and at times will eat some litter if we don't watch her.

Please get your kitty to a vet! She might need some vitamins or medicine!

Rose answered on 2/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer