Marshall

Why does he love the dark? Should I be worried?

My cat loves to be under the couch, the ottoman or in the bedroom where its almost pitch black dark. its not out of fear because hes not fearful cat. Should I be worried that somethings wrong with his eyes or is this just a cat thing I dont know about? Anyone else have this issue?

Asked by Marshall on Mar 30th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Airel

It's just a cat thing , they see much better in the dark then people do . My big bro loves to sleep under the sofa but then he also likes to sleep on top of the sofa .

Airel answered on 3/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Animals (not just cats) instinctively like to be in small, dark areas. They feel safe and protected there, and if they consider themselves watch-cats or watch-dogs, they like to have their back against something so nothing sneaks up on them from behind and they can watch all the goings-on in the house from a protected area. All those gangster movies show the guys sitting in a corner against a wall so no one came up and shot them in the back. Same principal with cats. However, if you think that Marshall is hiding to the point that you NEVER see him, he's not eating and acting lethargic, hissing and swiping at you (if he's never done this before) then call your vet for advice. If this is a new behavior, he may not be feeling well. If he's acting like himself in all other ways, then it's perfectly normal.

Salmon Face

Its a cat thing. They live to hang out in "caves" where they can hide and sleep, or up high places where they can see everything thats going on. If you are concerned, an easy way you can test your cats vision is to drop a cotton ball in front of them. If they watch as it falls, their vision is perfectly fine. Because its cotton, they won't hear it fall, so you know they where able to see it.

Salmon Face answered on 3/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer