Why does a cat, lead you to the food bowl

I have a neighbours cat who has partially adopted me, I call him Jack, he calls me then gets me to follow him, whilst zig-zagging infront of me and he leads me to the food bowl then hesitates, sometimes glancing backwards to make sure or to see that I am there and then he eats. What is your take on this please. I love animals and it is a long time since I have interacted so closely with a cat. Kind regards Janet S Johannesburg, South Africa

Asked by Member 1159000 on Mar 15th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I really don't know the answer to this, but it sounds like this cat really likes you! I too am an animal lover and feral cat advocate. I have never had a cat that does what you describe, but like I said, this kitty must really like you. I would just enjoy your time with this kitty. My neighbor had a cat and abandoned him. He took up residence on my front porch love seat. He followed me around like a little puppy dog. Two years later I took him in to my home when he became deaf and a little senile. Sadly, I had to put him down when he got so very thin and discovered he had cancer. My heart still aches for him and he has been gone for two years this month. I had him cremated so I could keep his ashes. I still grieve when I think of him, but am glad for the time I had with him and cared for him. Just have fun with this kitty. He sounds very cute!

My feral cat sort of does this. I think in the beginning she was sort of watching me to make sure I wasn't trying to trap her, and now she watches me to see if I am watching her back. She feels safer knowing I am out there, because I usually stay out there the whole time she is eating, because at one time, another feral in the neighborhood was eating her food. My opinion, he' just making sure this is not a trap, so he keeps glancing back at you to make sure. Yep, sounds like he likes you!