why do some cats call their owners to watch them eat?

Asked by Member 1029672 on Apr 6th 2011 Tagged eating, company, audience in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

This is just part of their behavior. Some cats will also announce when they go to use the litter box as if to say "wait a second and then get in here and clean this up!" Cats can also have different meows for different situations. I would think this is a learned behavior, because in the wild, an animal would not want to advertise that they're eating-something might come and steal it from them. Chances are your cat is just happy that you've fed her and she is saying "thanks".

gracie tatanka

there is a possability that some cats cause they know you wont eat their food decide to use you as a look out marco never called us until he was ten and the neighbours cat got in and nicked his dinner!from then on we were always summoned to stand guard lol he wasnt taking any more chances with his grub!

gracie tatanka answered on 4/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spike

I've never had a cat do that, but maybe it's related to cats wanting to show you prey they've killed. They are proud of killing that birdie or mousie, and want to show it to Mommy. No, they didn't kill their kibble themselves, but maybe the same kind of "thinking" process is going on.

Spike answered on 4/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris

Both my cats do that. In our case, I know that Boris was raised in a foster situation with several other cats, and being the runt of his litter, he probably always got to eat last, and likely wouldn't have gotten anything to eat as a kitten were it not for his human foster mom (he was very attached to her, as he is to me now).

Gracie learned to ask me to watch her eat from watching Boris, she grew up living with him (got her at 9 weeks old, when Boris was 1 1/2 years old), and since Boris is also kind of a food bully sometimes, Gracie knows that when "mommy" watches, she can intervene if Boris tries to bully her out of her share of food.

In a sense, it's the cats telling you that they depend on you for safety.

Boris answered on 4/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer