Why do my kittens smell so awful?

I am fostering 2 boy kittens from a city shelter. They are almost 3 months old. I feed each of them a quarter can of fancy feast kitten food twice a day and I have dry science diet kitten food out for them all the time. They drink plenty of water and always use the litter box (normal poo) I am using the best litter I could find, it is supposed to stop pee and poo smells. They groom themselves and always lick their butts after they poo and I scoop the clumps out at least once a day. My apartment doesn't smell, but the boys reek. They sleep with me on my bed and wake me up in the morning by crawling on my face. I love them! -but they are making me, my bed, blankets pillows and clothes smell awful! Like really really bad!

Asked by Member 1124287 on Aug 6th 2012 Tagged smell, kittens in Kittens

Answers

Despite the initial bad reaction most owners have towards bathing cats, it is something that can be done without too much discomfort for the cat or the owner. I suggest searching online for how to properly bathe a cat. This might not completely fix your problem, but it is a very good temporary solution.

You did, however, state that the cats do groom themselves and so that leads me to believe that the smell has something to do with their food. Try experimenting with various types of food and seeing if that has any effect.

Last, some times stench is a symptom of illness. Although I doubt this is the case, it would not hurt to at ask your veterinarian about it and perhaps schedule an appointment. I do not think they are sick.

This is surprising. None of my cats have any odor at all and certainly don't smell like my dogs ;-) If the odor is as disagreeable as you say, you do need to ask your foster organzation if you can take them to the vet. Experiementing with food is OK, however, don't change foods quickly, You need to mix a small amount of new in with the old, gradually increasing the new food, Temporarily, you can wipe them down with wipes made for cats or with dryer sheets. Also have their teeth checked to make sure they don't have an oral issue of some sort.

They may also be playing in the litter box, which kittens tend to do! If that's the case, they'll grow out of that phase. Of course, you should always have a vet rule out any physical ailments.