Why do my kittens follow me all day?

I have 3 very loving 5month old kittens.and they follow me all day, to the bathroom, downstairs,upstairs, outside...EVERYWHERE. and if i leave them behind and they can't find me they meow...if i close the door and they cant get to me they meow...if i leave them home, they go crazy and get very affectionate when i come back. they're really close to my husband as well, but they don't follow him as much, maybe because he's not here all day? ive tried to see if maybe they need something like food or water but no, they just want me! its cute 95% of the time...it does get annoying to have 3 little kittys under you're feet 24/7? and i love being a kitty mommy....

will they go threw a sepration anxiety thing like human babys do?

will they be like that as adult cats?

sometimes they get jealous of eachother because they wanna "snuggle" and be close to me in the same spot that the other is? any suggestions?

Asked by Member 780021 on Dec 15th 2008 Tagged kittens, behavior, following, crazycats in Behavior & Training

Answers

HI, MOMMY!! Welcome to the world of kitten mommyhood!

Maxine

Like Izzie said, you are Mom and they LOVE you! If you are concerned that they might get stepped on (we lost one we were fostering to feet) get them some cat toys that they can't eat or won't hurt them if they do (cause they will try) to keep them occupied while you clean house, etc. You could try putting them in a different room, make sure toys (and littler box) are in there. When they are occupied with the toys or each other, shut the door and do your thing. Just make sure to check on them every few minutes and let them out after a while. My kittens love empty boxes. They have all kinds of toys but they go nuts with those boxes and it keeps them occupied for hours chasing each other through them. My son cut holes in them so they can run from box to box without having to actually leave the boxes.

Maxine answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Louie (1996-2013)

My cats are older, age 12 and 9, and they still follow me around everywhere. Kitties just love you and want to be with you. If I'm in a room for more than 5 minutes without mine, they will hunt me down. There is no such thing as a closed door in my apartment, or you will never hear the end of it--scratch, scratch, meow, meow! One thing is now that they're older, they'll just sleep wherever I am and don't demand so much attention as they did when they were little.

Be happy you have such affectionate cats that want nothing more than to be near you. :-)

Louie (1996-2013) answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with everyone else. They're going to be very social, loving kitties.

Cow and Bahji

They just think you're mommie now. They will most likely remain affectionate and hog your lap when you sit and follow you into the bathroom to make sure you don't fall in. But they'll be fine and become less clingy as they get older. It's good that you have more than one cause they can keep each other company when you're not home. Like people babies, don't coddle them at the tiniest complaint but let them cry a bit sometimes and teach them what "no" is, so they don't get spoiled and demanding when they get older. Mine were the same way and are still very loving now (they're 9 months now) but they can also spend time doing their own thing. If they get underfoot they have to go to their room untill i'm done with whatever I'm doing and then I give them love and treats.

Cow and Bahji answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

hahaha that is very funny because my kittens do the same too but i have a lil sis and she murders her so she is afraid of her and comes running to me when she gets scared and starts purring but maybe they miss their mommy and they love you but i think that is cute

My current 2 month old male cat SCREAMS as soon as my toes touch the floor for me to pick him up. When I do- he stops crying and purrs like a motorboat! SPOILED yes- I love it soooo!