Why do cats/kittens try to eat cat litter? My himalayan was just some in his mouth.

How do I stop my male himalayan from eating/trying to eat the crystal cat litter? It scares me. He is about 6 months old.

Asked by Member 1135464 on Oct 12th 2012 in Cats & Kids

Answers

From Catchannel.com, "Cats eat litter for a variety of reasons, ranging from dietary problems to stress. If the behavior does not happen often, then the cat may just be tasting it because it is curious. Many cases of litter consumption indicate that your cat has a health problem and needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian. The most likely health-related reason for eating kitty litter is a vitamin or mineral deficiency, which the substances in the litter might help compensate for. Nutritional deficits are often caused by an underlying condition, such as anemia." catchannel.com, "