Why do cats like human hair elastic bands?

I hide my hair ties, headbands, and other hair accessories from my cats. Yet every day, they find them. I think they must smell my scent on them. I don't know what to do to prevent this. They have even opened drawers and found them.

Asked by Member 888861 on Dec 10th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

If it's something like a plastic barrette, they could be using them as toys (cats like to make toys out of the strangest things). But regarding elastic bands or elastic hair ties, there's the possibility that your cats might chew them and eat them, which could cause intestinal blockage and death. Cats love string and string-like things. You say you "hide" them but the cats find them anyway. Maybe you could put them in a box with a fastener that they can't open and then put that in a drawer or a closed closet. Or, how about Tupperware? I suspect that cats can't open a Tupperware container. My guess is that they find them by identifying your scent, but play with them because they think they're nifty toys.

Bugsy

The other poster is right these are dangerous toys for kitties. My vet told me that the two things he has to surgically remove from kitties is hair ties and cotton swabs. I don't know why they like them, but it seems that all cats do. Maybe they have our scent.

Bugsy answered on 12/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lottie

It's something to play with. :D

I'm always playing with milk bottle tops.

Lottie answered on 12/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer