why do cats do things they know they shouldn't and they will be punished?

Asked by Member 1042190 on Jul 25th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

You may be attributing human characteristics to the cats. Cats are very curious creatures. They don't chew up your phone or laptop cord because they want to be punished. They chew it up b/c it tastes good, they like the texture, they're bored,etc. The cat's primary purpose is to investigate and explore. Cats can be trained, but punishment should NEVER include shrieking at them, hitting them or otherwise abusing them. Provide playtimes, alone or with you, which is good for their socialization, brings you into their lives as "the boss" in a kind and humane way. In the wild, cats can be self-sufficient, but a housecat benefits greatly from interaction with their humans. It's a necessity for a happy home life for all of you. A cat lives in the moment for the most part and does not deliberately misbehave. Constant punishment and too many "rules" with no outlet to just be a cat will cause them to be anti-social, possbly aggressive and shy.

To tell you honestly - I think they don't know they will be punished, and for them it's okay to do some things - they don't know they shouldn't do them.

They often do things to be noticed. Even things that we don't like them doing.
See, cats are not like dogs - you can't just train them to obey our orders. They may oblige, but it is not out of obedience.

Something very unorthodox to consider...
When your cats do something you don't like - try to take them away from that place, cuddle them, kiss them and very politely (VERY POLITELY) as it is possible in human thoughts - explain them that please would they not do that and why not.

It worked for me. My five cats were never punished or even mentally scolded in my mind, but now they just look at me waiting for some communication or even an extra hug. They don't do the naughty things, knowing they are loved very much. They oblige.

To do so with your cats takes great patience to start with, but is very rewarding in the end indeed.