Why can I feel my cats spine and shoulders?

I have a 13 year old male cat who is neutered and seems to be pretty active with his 2 year old cat friend. They both eat Iams and have since they were able to eat hard food. They dont get table food, well except tuna water. But my concern is you can feel his shoulder blades and his spine very distinctively. Can someone help me out please

Asked by Member 1086859 on Jan 24th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cali

In older cats there is some loss of muscle mass and migration of fat downwards with gravity, so it's normal for them to feel a *little* bonier on top than they did when they were young; but it can also be caused by sudden weight loss that may be related to any of a number of (mostly treatable if caught early) old age diseases like kidney failure and hyperthyroid. If you feel this is a somewhat sudden change, as in less than a year ago his back felt pretty normal, or he hasn't had senior bloodwork done in the last few years it would be a good idea to get him checked out now. If he does have a major health condition forming getting it diagnosed now could add years to his life span. If he's a picture of health it'll be good to know that, too!

Cali answered on 1/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer