Monte

Why are my cats peeing on my couch all of a sudden?

I have 2 neutered male cats who are a little over 2 years old. In April one or both (not sure which) has started to pee on the couch for no apparent reason... We left at the beginning of April for a funeral and my inlaws took care of them - not the first time this has happened as we go skiing and camping all the time. But when we got home this time they had started peeing on the couch. They never used to even go on the couch unless we are... We have resorted to putting plastic computer mats with the spikes up to try to keep them off but even that's not working. They just pee on the plastic. They stopped after about a month so we stopped putting out the plastic. Then all of a sudden they started up again this week! We have no idea why... We clean their box everyday and feed them and give tem fresh water everyday and we play and cuddle with them everyday. Please help!! My husband wants to get rid of them if they don't stop... :(

Asked by Monte on Jun 23rd 2013 Tagged urine, soiling, marking, badbehavior, urinating in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Everyone hates to hear this, but first a UTI or crystals needs to be ruled out. This could be a reason why they are peeing out of the box. Some other reasons, it could be the location of the litter box they don't like, it could be near a fan or something that makes noise. It could be the litter. If they are declawed, many cats don't like clay or clumping litter, it gets stuck between their toes. Many peeing issues are a result of declawing..people don't believe that but I see it all the time. I had a cat start peeing and we think it was because the box, wihch was covered got old and started to retain odors, so we replaced the box. It could be that you have a covered litter box, and they don't like a covered box.It could be many reasons but you first have to rule out UTI. Then you have to use natures miracle on the couch to fully remove the pee smell or they will keep peeing on it. Just some things that come to mind. I hope you figure it out, so they don't get rehomed :(

Beep is right. Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons. One is stress and the other is health issues. Please tell your husband that if you "get rid" of the cats b/c they don't use the box, chances of them not getting rehomed are very good. If you had children, you would not "get rid" of them when they misbehave, you would find out what the problem is and try to solve it. Using a cleaner like Natures Miracle is a good idea, but unfortunately, it usually doesn't work on things like beds or furniture where the smell permeates the cushions. You may have to replace that cushion or at least the foam inside. Make sure they each have their own litter box and that they aren't bothering each other when they're using it. You may have to set out more boxes around your house. I know it's unpleasant to have litter boxes around, but so is accidentally sitting on a cat pee spot. If you see the cats head for the sofa, chase them off. But, as Beep said, first check with their vet. Good Luck!

The other posters offer good advice. However, is the couch new, or did you get it used? If it is used, chances are the former owner had pets. The other thing that comes to mind is one of your cats may have an overactive bladder. This happened to one of my male kittens I fostered. When I found him a new home, his new owner called to tell me that he was peeing on her couch and took both him and his brother to the vet. The vet suspected overactive bladder and treated the kitten for one month. After the treatment stopped, the peeing started again. So, kitty must get his once a day pill to keep the overactive bladder in check. You first need to rule out which cat is doing the peeing. Best of luck. Hope all works out well for everyone!