Why are my cats fighting all of a sudden, how do i get them to stop????

I have a 6 year old cat named Spaz (12 pounds) and an almost 2 year old named Simba (6 pounds). we have had them since kittenhood. They have always had little squabbles, but never anything too serious. We had a neighbor move in downstairs with a dog and while she is at work, the dog is right below my livingroom whining all day. so that may have something to do with it, but yesterday the wife gave Simba a bath and he was making the most awful screaming noises. when she got out and let Simba down after drying off, Spaz started attacking him BAD. When I broke it up, My arm got all cut up. We tried to seperate them and when we brought them back out Spaz tried to attack again. I tried to let them both see eachother today and Spaz ran Simba behind a couch and they were back at it. I am going to trim their claws tonight with the wife but what should I do? I don't want to lose one of them!

Asked by Member 1033602 on May 12th 2011 Tagged help, fight, fighting, introducingcats, mean, angry, kitties in Behavior & Training

Answers

Are both cats neutered? If not, this will certainly help with the aggression. I have to tell you, when I bring one of my dogs back from the vet, I usually have a fight on my hands because the one I took to the doctor smells different. it could be that Simba just didn't smell right after his bath (to Spaz, I mean). It could also be what we call "misplace aggression". Spaz wants to get at the dog but can't so he takes it out on Simba. A dog whining under my window all day every day would probably make me want to attack something too. You can politely speak with your downstairs neighbor to see if there's anything that can be done. If the dog is tied up outside all day, that's not really good for him, either. If she has to keep him outside, see if there's someplace else she can put him. You might also want to contact your vet to make sure both cats are healthy. At times, a healthy cat senses illness and will attack the sick one. Good luck. I hope things calm down for you!

I agree with Izzie's assessment and suggestions.

I've noticed that if something scares my cats while they're indoors - especially if they see a strange cat comes near a window - they might take it out on each other (misplaced aggression) with a quick spat. Oddly, I've noticed if this happens while they're outside on the patio, they seem to team up to face whatever is scaring them.

My house is pretty quiet, so usually all it takes is a loud, sharp clap or a shout of "Hey!" to break up a fight. Usually, I'll let them work out their minor squabbles on their own, but if it looks like it's getting serious, I don't grab them but try to stand in between them and push away the most aggressive one with my leg.