Why are my almost 8 week old kittens not getting in to the litter box by themselves?

My cat Chloe had a litter of 4 kittens on July 19th, which makes them just about 8 weeks. I bought one of those litter pans that are sized just for kittens, and I got the corn grain litter so they wouldn't get sick if they ate some. I introduced them to the idea right around 5 weeks, so its going on 3 weeks now that we've been training. One of the kittens instantly got it, everything just clicked for him and he has been using the box by himself since the beginning. The other 3 will use it perfectly fine, as long as I place them in there every couple of hours. They will hold it until I put them in the box, and if I take too long they will eventuall have an accident on the carpet. At night they are kept in the bathroom with the box, and all 3 of the troublemakers will hold it all night until I place them in the box in the morning. I don't get how they can understand that the litterbox is where they 'go' but they don't understand that they are supposed to get in by themselves?

Asked by Member 1129999 on Sep 9th 2012 Tagged litterbox, training in Kittens

Answers

I'm surprised that Chloe hasn't taken on this job as most mother cats usually do. When we helped litter train a litter of kittens my daughter fostered, we used a large, very low-sided Rubbermaid box lid. When the kittens went, we wiped their bottoms with a warm, wet rag and then put them back into the box. We scratched the litter with our fingers to show them how to cover. We did this after play times, meal times and any time one of them headed off for a secluded corner to "go". We also gave them treats from Temptations to a small shred of tuna and praised the heck out of them. We never punished for accidents. They're babies, after all. It takes time and patience! Good luck!