While cleaning my cat's pillow I noticed some "sesame seed" looking things on the fabric. Is this a worm or flea issue?

Asked by Member 1143783 on Dec 5th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Definitely a worm issue!!

Those sesame seed looking things are dead worms. They can't survive for long when out of a body. Look at your cats but to see if you see some squirming out. They care 3 types of worms: heart, round or tapeworms. For my cat, I went to to petco and bought Homeopet which is an all-natural worm remover and it works for all three types of worms. It was $18.99. It worked for him. If you go to a vet, he would want for you to bring a samply of his poop so they can diagnose which worm problem your cat has. That is usually $25. They will then charge you another $30-40 for the medication. The medicine the vet will give will take care of the worms in 2-3 days. The homeo pet take about 1-2 weeks depending on the weight and age of your cat. Don't worry about getting worms because it is very hard for humans to get worms that our pets get. It's like 99.99 you won't be affected by them. Hope your kitty gets better!

George

It is most likely a tape worm segment. Tape worms shed segments of their bodies while still remaining attached to the host. When the segments exit the rectum they are gooey and white, when they dry they resemble grains of rice. You can take your kitty to the vet and get him/her checked out and dewormed fairly inexpensively or you can purchase over the counter dewormers which depending on the type can work just as well. If you want something over the counter I reccommend Pyrantel, it kills most worms and comes in an easy to give liquid form. Deworming is usually done by administering the first dose and then a second 10-14 days later. Sometimes tape worms can be tough to get rid of and if you do try and over the counter medication and are still seeing segments you should get a stronger prescription dewormer from your vet.

George answered on 12/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tapeworms are carried by fleas; therefore, your cat also needs to be treated for fleas, as does your house. Messing around with over-the-counter treatments is usually a waste of money and time; otc meds are generally ineffective, and you end up going to the vet anyway. I would recommend, if you can afford it, taking your cat to the vet for an exam (tapeworm infestation can also cause anemia and malnutrition), a stool analysis, flea treatment and deworming.