Which cat Breeds shed least & have a hypoallergenic coat? In other words, which breed is the best if you have allergies?

Asked by Member 630057 on May 6th 2008 in Allergies

Best Answer

No cat is truly hypoallergenic. Some breeds that may be tolerated easier by allergy sufferers include: Sphynx, Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, and Siberian. The only way to know if you can tolerate these breeds though is to be exposed to these cats. Bathing a cat once a week also helps. I would also recommend working with an allergist.

Linus (Dreamboat #72a) answered on May 6th.

Answers

~♥ Kaci ♥~

My daddy and brother are both allergic to cats but they have no issues with me.... plus I'm hairless so there is no shedding!! YAY!! I will tell you though, as a Sphynx princess, I am VERY high maintenance!! Mommy has to give me weekly baths, daily wipe downs, and she has to clean my ears, eyes, and toes often. If you decide to adopt a Sphynx, be ready for a lot of work! WE ARE TRULY WORTH IT THOUGH!! Good luck!!

Purrs,
Kaci

~♥ Kaci ♥~ answered on 5/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sweet Pea

Siberian breed - www.siberiancats.com
www.jabansiberian.com

There is a book called: The Sneeze-Free Cat Owner: Allergy Management & Breed Selection for the Allergic Cat Lover by Diane Morgan. It might help you in finding the right cat for you and it may be in your local library so all you would have to do is rent it for FREE.

Cat Allerygy Equipment for your home - www.allergybuyersclub.com

How to live with the allergy, understanding it and loving your cat - www.messybeast.com
www.animalallergies.info

Sweet Pea answered on 5/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Philbert

I have a cousin who is very allergic to cats and did a lot of research to end up with a Siberian. He's doing great with him a
nd he's a giant sweet puffball of joy for him! Good luck in your search. I hope that helped.!

Philbert answered on 5/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer